Tuesday, October 4, 2011

When I grow up…

I swore I would never sit in a cubicle and call it my career. I would say “that’s not my personality” and “I could never stare at a computer all day” but here I am. I work in an office building alongside thousands of other people typing away and torturing my eyes with fluorescent lights and computer glare. Sure, I have an ergonomic chair, wrist rests for my keyboard and mouse and a foot rest, but is this living? I stare at two computer screens side-by-side every day and get paid to do it but this is never where I imagined myself years ago.


When the teacher asks you in kindergarten what you want to be when you grow up, you normally spout off whatever it is your parents do and everyone gets a good laugh at the kid in the front row trying to pronounce physicist. But as you get older, you develop hobbies and one day go to college to pursue something you found less boring than health class. Or maybe you get to college and declare yourself “undecided” until your junior year like I did, then scramble to pick something you can finish in the standard 4 year time frame. You walk with pride as you’re handed that degree for “Organizational Communication” with a minor in “Speech Communication” not having any clue what the hell it really means or what you can do with it.


After graduation you look for a job (or in my case, move to Denver temporarily just because you can) and hope you find something, anything that pays for you to live like a civilized human being. The job I currently have isn’t hard, stressful or bad at all really, it’s just not what I thought I would be doing for a career. I work from home 3 days a week and have the weekends off like any other office job but what I really want to do one day is photography.


I have been taking pictures since I was a kid but only recently have I really learned how to use my camera without leaving the settings on automatic. I still have a lot to learn but I’m finally getting the motivation to do what I love. I will not be quitting my full time job in the office, but I would like eventually have a photography job on the side. Now bring on the volunteers so I can build my portfolio! Anyone have a free weekend and looking for a free photo shoot? Remember, I’m a BEGINNER, don’t expect professional stuff just yet people!

2 comments:

lauren.leet said...

you can do my sister's engagement pics! lol

ammullen19 said...

Anytime you are in Raleigh or we are in Ohio I would love for you to take pictures of Lainie! She's adorable, so you'll probably get a ton of business.... :)